Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Thursday, May 8

Throwback Thursday: Mother's Day Quilt Art Tutorial

Good Morning, since Mother's Day is this weekend I thought I'd share a super easy, and relatively quick project you could make for a cherished Mother in your life. This is a project I created for Sizzix last year, but that Hexagon Die never gets enough use so I thought you'd like to see it again!

The overall size is 11 x 14, including the frame.

 

I created a base quilt from a piece of black cardstock and arranged the hex's in a random pattern on top to cover it completely. I used a re-positionable adhesive to attach them -- that would allow me to move them around easily if I got stuck with two of the same pattern side by side when I was laying them out.

To make sure the Hexagons stayed in place I used my sewing machine with a straight stitch to sew each one to the base. When I had that done, I decided it needed a pretty floral image.

 

To create that image I used the Mini-Tickets Die with the Base tray to cut the larger tag from cream card stock. So I could mat it on a piece of coordinating patterned paper I trimmed about 1/16" from each side and used a tiny circle punch to trim the corners so it would mat nicely on the original sized ticket. When I was certain it would fit on the Mini-Ticket cut from patterned paper I stamped a pretty flower on it from the Flourishes the "Year of Flowers" with Black StazOn Ink.

I used a small watercolor palette and a tiny brush to paint the image to coordinate with the papers of my quilt.

To complete the focal point image I attached the image to the patterned paper Mini-Ticket with Foam Tape. To help it stand out from the paper quilt I used the ATC Die to cut a piece of black cardstock to mat the pretty image on. With a piece of pink ribbon sandwiched in between it is the PERFECT embellishment for my paper quilt!

 


To finish the design I stitched the paper quilt to a piece of the pink patterned paper from the Lily Bee Designs Paper Pack layered on top of black cardstock.

It looks AMAZING in an inexpensive 11 x 14 white frame from Target!



  


I'm going to feel nice and cozy all summer every time I see my beautiful paper quilt! I love it and it only took an evening to put together! This would make a beautiful baby shower -- bridal shower or gift for any occasion!

Thanks for stopping by, hope you like my fast and easy paper quilt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.