Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Tuesday, May 8

Portland Museum of Art

As a full-time artist it's important to renew and refresh -- things I don't do very often. I tend to work all day -- stop when the kidlet gets home from school -- then work in the evening after he goes to bed. There are plenty of breaks in there mixed with cooking, cleaning. laundry and errands -- but for the most part I work a lot. How can I not when I love it so much. 

I told the kidlet yesterday that I discovered I was born to make art when I was in high school. That's all I wanted to do. then....and now. I skipped classes to go to the art department. I immersed myself in art. When I was REALLY little I remember telling my Mother that my dream was to grow up and be an artist, I think I was 4 maybe 5 at the time.

Fast forward over 25 years and yes -- I am still making art. Friday night we went to see the movie The Raven -- about Edgar Allen Poe -- which reminded me of my first etching I did -- yup -- way back in high school. It was inspired by that poem. I need to see if my Mother still has the plate at her house. 

Anyway, one of my favorite artists is Edgar Degas. I love his style, use of color and design -- so when my husband wanted to go see the exhibit at the PMA I was definitely not going to say no.


The Degas exhibit was less about the work that I am inspired by and more about his sketches, friends and etchings. Definitely interesting and I did take the time to read all the little pieces of information the museum shared. He was a very talented artist that knew from a very early age that he wanted to be an artist when he grew up. hey, kinda like me, but i'm no degas -- yet ;-)

It was the rest of the museum that I was inspired by. I forgot to document who the artist are for all of these paintings, but I do love them.

Like this painting. 

the color and shapes really makes me happy and I see something different every time I look at it.

and this one -- it's very satisfying to me. 

And the flowers on this painting -- love the contrast of the lady holding the daisy against the dark background and the beautiful lazy-daisy look on the bottom of this painting. 

and this guy, whom I nick named Mr. Crabby Pants. Everything about this one makes me smile, it's fun and playful. 
I left the museum with a refreshed sense of creativity, determination and purpose -- add to that delicious Thai food for lunch, a visit to a new art store with very pleasant help, a cupcake -- and a wonderful date afternoon with my hubby -- and I am really re-charged and ready to take on the world.

Just not the kitchen ;-) 
Hope you have a wonderful day -- thanks for stopping by! 

2 comments:

  1. wonderful and true post!!! Lovely inspiring pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do this sort of thing all the time before i had kids. I always felt so inspired ;0) I must add regularly checking art galleries/museums to my schedule for inspiration..thanks for the reminder, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.