Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Tuesday, January 26

Beaches in Maine

The 1-year anniversary of New England Bloggers is January 27, and in honor of that I'd like to share my thoughts about one of my favorite places to visit in Maine, Popham Beach.

One of the things I like most about living in Maine is living close to the ocean and being able to visit the beach. I do love the beach – but we only go in the summer because it’s too cold in the winter! After living in Washington State for a couple years and Newport, Rhode Island for a couple years - am grateful to be back here for good!

When I was a little girl we lived in a sweet little farmhouse that was just minutes from the beach. When my cousins from Massachusetts would come for a visit we would take them, and my Grandparents to the beach and play in the water. The road to the beach was long and windy, I always got carsick and throw up all over the car - my Mother always thought I could wait until we got home - and I never could. When we finally got to the beach we would always visit the fort – and get a candy necklace at Percy’s. Maybe it was the combination of the candy and the roads that made me sick!

I love taking my son to the same beach. I feel like I’m sharing a part of my past with him and he can visualize stories of when I was a little girl as I tell them to him. We always park near the fort and plunk our blanket down near the Coast Guard Station. Creatures of habit I guess, lol. We walk up and down at the water’s edge collecting shells and trying to get the dog to go in the water. One summer we found the sweet spot – and found 105 sand dollars in one day. We haven’t been that lucky since. But we always go back to the same spot hoping to find it’s going to be sweet for us again. It will, I’m sure of it, maybe this summer.

It’s nice to sit and watch him play in the sand and clean off in the cold New England water. Often I dare him to jump in, the water is so cold – even in the middle of summer - I always expect him to say no. He never does. Creatures of habit.

It’s such a wonderful thing to be able to drive to the ocean and smell the salty air, there’s nothing like it for sure. If you’ve never been to a beach on the coast of Maine, you should. It’s a wonderful – peaceful way to spend the day.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you’ll go on and check the rest of the New England bloggers and learn a bit more about this part of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.